Where do we go? Where do we go now? Where do we go?

I keep moving forward but it doesn’t feel like I’m getting anywhere. Time is moving on and I don’t feel like I’m any further ahead. I’m breathing. Breathing. But sometimes I find myself holding my breath.
I’m still reeling from Mother’s Day. Wasn’t that ages ago? I still have not resurfaced. I’m standing on shaky ground. My Instinct, extinct. I don’t trust my gut and that feels so uncomfortable and unfamiliar.

Is that a new bruise?
Why is she so clingy?
Headache? He doesn’t ever get headaches.
What’s with the dark circles under her eyes?
Fuck
Am I making all this up?

And that’s just my baseline. Totally preoccupied with, mostly, Piper’s health, which is Totally fine, might I add, and then all the other firsts and nexts that I’m tackling daily. I’m just pretty much on the edge. But then once I get going I somehow manage to keep going. Just not sure where we go now that we are here.
And if this all sounds like rambling craziness then welcome to my world.

88 Responses to Where do we go? Where do we go now? Where do we go?

1. BoufMom9 says:

Jess,
    I love you!
    Praying for you, without ceasing….

2. emhansen says:

I am hearing you sister. I love you. I know this has been a hard month and to top it off May is crazy busy with the end of school and weird weather etc… so we have all been out of touch, out of the loop. Let’s see each other soon – I will call after graduations wrap up this week and early next week. Your kids are amazing, beautiful and healthy. I know that does nothing for you, but I can see it and I want to tell you I can see it. Miss you – much love. me.

3. Niecey says:

Yes, I’m sure paranoia is just part of your new normal. And nobody could blame you! It’s so completely understandable.

I lost my daughter to SIDS and for like a year afterwards I was convinced everyone around me was going to just stop breathing in their sleep. I checked on my husband so many times at night. I even checked on my cat lots of times, when she was asleep. I was worried she’d just die.

You learn about how fragile life is, and then you forget how strong it also is.

It’s all part of the journey.

4. Sharlene says:

It sucks. It all fucking sucks. It sucks that you have to deal with this and it sucks that nothing we say or do will make her come back. I worry about you endlessly and pray for you constantly. I miss you terribly and just want to make all of this go away. Love you so very very much.

5. Sadia says:

I’m sorry. I wish there was something out there that would make it better.

6. Lee of MWOB says:

Oh my. I just watched that gorgeous video of your Tuesday and your family. I am crying for you again, you, a stranger, but because of this space of yours and because we are mothers, you don’t seem a stranger at all.

My thoughts go often to you and then prayers follow. Of course, where do you go from here…that feeling makes perfect sense to me.

Love to all of you…

7. mames says:

it is not rambling, jess. it is not crazy. it is probably exhausting to have to go through the cycles your mind wants and needs, but it sounds like your heart knows what to do…hold them and look at them and see them. and letting us in on it, that is brave and probably helps a lot of others, including me. thinking and praying for you. hang in there and hang on. you are loved.

8. Maki says:

Who could blame you for the way you feel…. You have all the right to feel whatever comes to your mind; stay strong and hang strong, but just know that we are all here to stay and listen, whenever you need the reassurance….

9. purplemoose says:

My first husband died within a few months of our marriage. When I remarried I was very scared, hesitant, cautious leading up to that fateful time. And . . . you take a deep breath, close your eyes tight, and hope and pray that this time is better. Praying for you, and your dear little ones.

10. Jenn H says:

Its not crazy at all sweetie! Its normal but then again what is normal. Its you, its you dealing, and its you doing it moment by moment and trying to breathe. I wish I could make it easier, have some wise words but honestly it just all sounds blah, blah, blah in my head. We continue to hold you and family up in prayer, the boys do too and ask about you and fam often. Much love and wish I could wrap you up in a big hug, words are inadequate….

11. Kj says:

Thinking of you everyday, stranger you may be, I still think of you. Not out of pitty, but love. Love that extends out of you, your family and your story.

I hope you find your path; one moment at a time.

12. Tamara Mitchell says:

I am so sorry JK! I am praying for you and think of you often…

13. Sarah says:

I can’t say anything of use, just know you’re being thought about and prayed for.

14. Samantha says:

I have been sitting here crying, watching the video and wondering… why… WHY? How is it that a mother in Denver is without her child. How is it that a little twin girl is without her other half? I can not understand it and it makes me so mad. You know the kind of mad where you feel shaky? And I am heartbroken for you, so much so that I can actually feel a pain in the pit of my stomach… I wish that I could ease your pain somehow. Carry some to ease your load. No one person should have the burden of carrying around so much pain…

The Jack Johnson song is beautiful… and yes, she did change the world with her two little, precious hands….

15. L I S A says:

Hi girlfriend – Just want to let you know I’m still here and think of you all daily. Loving you always. xoxoxo lisa

16. Anonymous says:

Where do you go? You go to God and you go to the place where you find comfort…with your friends, your family and those that want to encourage you

We love you Jess. All of your family loves you and Charley and the kids.We can’t wait to see everyone. Just remember that you will never forget but it will get better. All of you are in our prayers

Love,
    Aunt SuSu and Uncle Jim

17. The Corradetti Clan says:

Jk, I wish I could take you pain away. I love you! We are praying for you and your family every momment. Love ya

18. Kristi Ann says:

Keep breathing and living one day at a time. Thats all you can do at this point. Hang in there.
    HUGE HUGS!
    I will continue to lift your family in my prayers…
    much love…

19. Terri says:

Wish I had the words to make it all better. I don’t. No one will. But know that we are all here. Here to listen. Here to talk. Here to hug. Just here! Love you. Miss you!

20. Anonymous says:

Rambling madness?!?! You sound more together than a lot of people I know. You are now just more in tune to yourself and your loved ones. Take it one day at a time. It’s not a race and it sounds like you and Charley are grieving in a healthy way. You will reach a point where you have far more good days/moments than bad. It doesn’t mean you are forgetting or that you don’t care. A mom never stops loving her kids, whethere they are here on earth or angels in heaven. Take it easy and know that you are thought of often. I wish I could just give you a big hug and tell you that everything is going to be ok. I could also go through all of the platitudes “everything happens for a reason”, “God doesn’t give us any more than we can handle”, but it doesn’t make the pain any less real. We love you guys. peace, cindy lou

21. BlogBaby says:

Makes perfect sense to me actually. Your life has been fractured, so it only makes sense that your emotions and thoughts are too.

Don’t worry about the “there” just focus on the “here”, God will take care of the rest.

Still Praying for you.

BlogBaby

22. Laurie in Ca. says:

Praying for you as you try to find your way on this unfamiliar path of grief and missing Tuesday. This isn’t rambling sweetie, this is life and it makes no sense right now. However you do this, you are doing it right because there is no wrong way to deal with a shattered heart. I am so sorry.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

23. Susan says:

I have a complete freak out about my 3 year old about every 6 months and I take her into the Dr and get calmed down (or do a finger prick to check hemoglobin). Once you lose a child to cancer you can’t help to worry about your other kids. You’ve earned the right to worry.

24. Ali says:

Prayers beyond words.

25. Susan says:

Oh JK – thank you for sharing that heart felt video of Tuesday. Even though you don’t know many of us cyper friends, your family has become a name in our families. How we miss Tuesday. And all that you just wrote sounds so normal….of course you are going to be looking for anything….a bruise, cut, whatever. Keep writing about your dear little girl. I hope somehow it helps to share Tuesday on paper.

26. grandma mac says:

You are doing what you need to do, breathe, take a tiny step forward and survive, thats it, the rest will come. Don’t worry about your “instincts” yet, trust me, they are still there and will kick in if you need them, until then just breathe, take a tiny step forward and survive. We are all behind you, you can trust in that. Take care, Debra

27. Christy says:

Jess,
    I question everything with my kids and I haven’t been through what you have!
    Your world has been rocked and turned upside down. I wish I knew how to make things better. Just know that I am thinking of you and praying that peace finds you.
    My heart goes out to you.
    Many hugs

28. BenLand says:

you'll get there someday….

thinking & praying for you & your family everyday…

peace.

29. Heather of the EO says:

A very wise woman says that there is no right way to do this. (That would be you)

Obviously, I don’t know where you should go…I wish there were a script or something, a checklist.

I’m sorry.

30. purejoy says:

breathe. . .
    awwww. hearing your heart makes mine break. i can’t even begin to imagine.
    cling hard, sister. cling.
    words from mere mortals are so inadequate, but hopefully are the balm to your wounded heart.
    i wish healing for you, joy in the midst of sadness. i pray laughter for your soul. calm for troubled waters.
    and sweet luscious air to breathe.
    inhale deeply.
    this is the air i breathe. . .

31. Anonymous says:

Jessica- I am a complete stranger to you. I just wanted you to know that I follow your blog religiously and you have made such an impact on my life. Your story has made me appreciate my life and taught me to not take anything for granted. It’s helped me to be a better wife and mother. I spend more time just enjoying my 2 year old and soaking up her youth, and I have you to thank for that. Please know that there are so many that are praying for you and your family. You have made others better individuals in this world. Thank you.

32. Leslie says:

In the words of a wise woman met here,

In His Grip~

33. The Romero-Schroeder says:

Its not carzy at all, it is our reality, even a cold drives me up the wall, i still check santis breathing twice at nigth, hang in there, i love you and i will pray for you, i just wish there is more that we could do.

34. Natalie says:

Jessica — Know that through all of the difficult moments I am praying for you daily. I hope you can find comfort in knowing so many are thinking of you and praying for your strength.

God Bless,

35. Debbie Moore says:

Love you and praying for you always!

36. angie says:

Since my words are pithy…….sending you a big hug.

37. -Shaken, not stirred says:

Tt doesn’t sound like rambling craziness. It makes perfect sense and you feel, what you feel. Just keep going. We’re all here praying for you/your family. big hug, from afar!

38. Wendy Kae says:

Another “first” for you to get past. Always remember how blessed you are, celebrate being a mother. The heartache will lessen, but I know you will never forget. Prayers always!

Keep posting, we’ll always be here for you!

39. Carrie says:

Well, I feel the exact same way… so it may be crazy, but I think it might be normal crazy.

Hang in there!

40. Kathy D. says:

I wish I could give you a big hug. I think of you often. You are strong. You can do this. Stay strong.

41. Alisha says:

I wish I had the power to bring her back for you. :(

Love you.

42. Jen says:

Ahh I love you guys. It’s just been so short a time. I guess this is how you heal. You’ll never feel the way you were, but it will eventually start to feel like a new “normal”. I wish I could tell you exactly the day it would hurt just a little less. Cherish the good moments, most people never bother to stop and do it.

43. Leslie says:

“And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.” Then He who sat on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.”

Revelation 21:4-5

44. Shnerfle says:

I don’t know if this is horrible to say or not, but you are right where you should be, if such a thing is possible. Reeling. Continuing to breath. Letting those who love you support you.

45. Minze says:

I don’t know you, but I just wanted to say that I’ll be praying for you and your family. I hate that there’s nothing I can say to make this easier for you. Hang on. Keep going.

46. Brown Girl says:

One day at a time, one foot in front of the other. That’s all you can do. I’m sorry but even that’s not good enough. Hugs to you.

47. Avery Tales says:

I’ve been thinking about you a lot lately. I was actually just thinking of you last night. I couldn’t sleep and I kept thinking that this Friday would be Olivia’s 3rd birthday. Then I thought about you and remembered how lost I felt during that first year or so. I’m glad that you have your blog to ramble on. Rambling is good. I can identify with you in that I’m constantly worried that something will happen to my son, Jeffrey, or my husband Ben. Anytime either one of them gets sick, I automatically assume the worst. So you’re not alone. I believe it’s all part of the insane grieving process. You are loved and prayed for my sweet bloggy friend.

48. Beth says:

Thank you for sharing that video with all of us! Tuesday is such a sweet girl!

I can not imagine what you are dealing with. My heart hurts for you and your name is always in my prayers.

All I know for sure is that God loves you and I pray that you find comfort in Him!

49. Anonymous says:

I sat here for like 10 minutes trying to figure out what to say, and still have no clue. But instead just imagine a big huge GIANT hug…hope it helps!

kristi
    lafayette,la

50. Sally says:

I sit here, check your blog every now and again, and pray for your family frequently. I watched the video, partly. My throat has closed up – it’s painful for me, as a mum, to see what you have lost. It’s painful for me to see your pain, the magnitude of that pain. Your family aches and yet you are eloquent in your posts, and loving enough to share with us all that you hold so very dear. You will each grieve differently, together and apart from one another. Never apologize for your grief or fears. You are strong, your family is strong and together each of you will overcome the severity of your pain. You will continue to love Tuesday, to remember her, to honour her. I admire you for your honesty, your strength, your willingness to share with us – perfect strangers who love you deeply.

51. Belle's Blog says:

Love to you!!! I totally understand. I dont think i felt normal for a long long time after my son died. But every year on June 20th…the hurt feels so fresh again! On a day by day basis….I function much better now though. I am praying for you! Love to the whole family!

BTW…Dustin’s death made me a wayy too overprotective mom! Just how it goes … I think!

52. Whimsical Creations says:

hugs! I am so sorry….

53. Lauren says:

Just when I think I am doing okay, Tuesday creeps back into my life somehow and I can’t quit thinking about her. I feel terrible…..and I am a stranger……..I Can’t Imagine how you feel. My thoughts are with you daily…sending all my strength…..

54. Stacie says:

Just wanted to say that I’m praying for you tonight. Thanks for sharing yourself, even when you aren’t sure about who you are now that she’s gone.

Much love,
    Stacie Smith
    (mommy to Gavin – AT/RT)

55. Anonymous says:

Just wanted you to know that another complete stranger thinks about your and yours often… and prays for you at all kinds of crazy times. Your story is everyone’s worst fear, and you seem so normal.. like “us” –and that makes me just hold on tighter to every day. Thank you for that. Wanting you to be o.k.,

56. * TONYA * says:

Always wondering if something is wrong and trying to find signs is only natural sweetie, especially after all you have been through. Let’s have that drink soon. Love you.

57. mrs boo radley says:

Your hurting heart is never far from my mind…

58. Kristy says:

Not rambling craziness at all, Jess. I’m sure Mother’s Day was excruciating for you, even amid the happiness that Spencer, Axel and Piper bring. I watched the celebration video again (and I could watch it again and again and still not get tired of seeing Tuesday’s beautiful face), and I am still speechless. You guys are constantly in my mind and in my heart.

Love to you,
    Kristy Grigsby and family

59. williamsmommy2005 says:

There is no wrong or right way to handle this situation.. my heart breaks for you and all those who have gone through this.. My neice passed away from cancer at 4.5 years old and for some in the family the pain is as real today as it was the night she passed on..
    I worry about my son.. everytime he gets sick.. every headache he has, every bruise he gets and can’t remember where it came from… It’s a mom’s job to have that concern for her children.. Just keep doing what you are doing.. take it day by day, breath by breath, moment by moment. If there is one thing the loss of my neice instilled in me was to enjoy and soak up every moment. Life is so very precious.. and her life touched so many and will continue to do so.

60. Joellyn says:

JK, Hugs from Kentucky where I just got over the stomach bug and convinced myself it was surely the Swine Flu. Hang in there honey…I know it’s a totally different ballgame that seems to never end.

61. Shannon says:

I’m not sure where you’re supposed to go either, but I’m glad to hear that you just keep going!

Sending hugs and positive thoughts your way!!

62. Lynn says:

I could share this passage every day and it would always give the same comfort. It’s such an amazing passage of Scripture! Praying!
    Job 19:25-27 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.
    Prayer BearsMy email address

63. Claroux says:

I just watched the beautiful Tuesday video and read you post. I am crying again – for someone I have never met. I wish I could take away all the bad you are feeling. Consider yourself hugged…a thousand times over. I wish there was something I could do or say that could wash away all your hurt. I think of you and your family often – thoughts that are followed by prayers. Prayers for strength. Prayers for healing. I sit here now and watch my twin girls – only two weeks younger than Piper and Tuesday – and I cry again. Cry because life of so fragile. Cry because it’s not fair that Tuesday isn’t here to grow and experience life with Piper and her wonderful family. The fact that you are still blogging and still sharing your life and your hurt with the world is testament alone to your strength.

64. Gail says:

I am another person you don’t know that is praying for you. To have peace that surpasses all understanding (Phil.)

65. Tamara aka Cheapskate Mom says:

I have that G&R song in my head now. Your sweet Tuesday has touched so many hearts and you continue to move hearts by sharing your heart with us. I pray daily for you and your family. I have a bit of anxiety over dying and losing someone I love. Just the other day I was driving home in the rain and all of a sudden I was gripped in pure fear at the thought of dying. (I was recently in a bad roll over crash and I think that is why I was scared) I tried to shake that feeling and then I remembered Tuesday's balloons in your tree an entire day after they were released. This immediately brought me comfort. God is real. Heaven is real. Death is not dying. I know this doesn't ease the pain you are feeling. In my ramblings I pray that something, anything I say somehow brings some comfort. Bless you, Jessica. I am just so so sorry.

66. Anonymous says:

The video is beautiful. You are far from crazy! I think of and pray for you often-your family is very loved.

67. Stacy says:

My heart continues to break for you and your family. I feel so sad for you as I can only imagine how much you miss your sweet Tuesday. You remain in my prayers. God Bless you and your family.

68. Marie says:

I don’t have any words for you, I don’t think anybody does. What brings me back to your blog every day is the way you express your grief. I have never lost a child but when I read your words, I have. Because you write it in such a way that we just get it. Keep writing it. Maybe it will help you to heal, and maybe it will help us to understand and deal with our own grief, which we all have on different levels.

69. kelly @ alacrity designs says:

Sending you thoughts, prayers, love, energy, blessing, hugs, everything I can think of that’s good. I can’t imagine, jessica. But thank you for all that you share. Maybe if we could all carry a tiny piece for you, together we might help keep you above the surface.

70. Kristy has Hope. says:

My heart hurts along with you. My son died Jan. 2, 2009. wwww.hopeforsamuel.blogspot.com

71. Anonymous says:

I can’t imagine you would feel any different. I’m so sorry you’re hurting!

72. Anonymous says:

Dear JK,
    I am praying for you with tears in my eyes that our Father God would somehow comfort you and uplift you and take away some of the pain and bring you peace and joy again.
    Love Jen H’s mom

73. Kimberly Rose Carolan says:

Grief sucks, and I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard figuring out how to live without the one you’ve lost whether it was a child, spouse, parent, close friend, etc. People create such a vacuum in our hearts when they die.

Kim Carolan

74. Brandi says:

Jess,
    You are never far from my thoughts. Hugs for you! You said it though, you just have to get going. Once you are going you will slowly get to where you are meant to be now. I just wish I could tell you where that place is and when you will get there.

Brandi

75. Lynn says:

Received this passage in a card today and had to pass it on! Know that I’m always praying!
    Psalms 107:28-32 Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses. He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven. Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men! Let them exalt him also in the congregation of the people, and praise him in the assembly of the elders.
    Prayer BearsMy email address

76. Jen Clark says:

Praying for you, Jess. I wish I could carry some of the pain for you, lighten the burden. My heart aches for you, for Piper, for your family and the empty place there. Love from one mama to another.

77. Lynn says:

These words are so very special and full of comfort! Praying in Seattle!
    John 14:1-3 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
    Prayer BearsMy email address

78. mommaof4wife2r says:

i will never understand your situation, but i can see me beign worse…so for now and for as long as i can, i will pray for you…i promise. hope there’s peace soon…and a little calm too.

79. Lynn says:

Praying hard in Seattle!
    Psalms 46:1-5 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah. There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High. God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.
    Prayer Bears

80. Heather says:

Forget about one day at a time or even one moment at a time,just one now at a time.Sometimes I am sure it is even difficult to get through the now let alone think about tomorrow.7 months ago our lives changed irreversible as we were plunged into the world of pediatric cancer.I hated it then.I hate it even more today.We have lost some of our favorite little souls and stand to lose more.Unfathomable.I will NEVER be the same.I worry about every ache and pain of my other children and Lord knows how I will get through the next several years watching Zoey with eagle eyes for recurring symptoms but you know,the Lord does know.Even when we cannot see that or even when that doesn't help at all.I wish I could do more but I can only pause and say a prayer and send you peace for today.

81. Janice Rolfs says:

Hello my sweet friend!!! I remember when Ellie was first diagnosed, I felt so angry that the world outside was still moving – didn't everything know to stop???? And then just realizing that I somehow had to figure out how to move with the world even though inside I had stopped. I'm so sorry that you are going through all of this. This may sound totally crazy and forgive me if it is, but reading your post reminded me of the "Ray of Light" video by Madonna – I'm not a big fan of Madonna and honestly don't even know what the song is about, but I saw the video a long time ago – and it for me seemed to capture what was going on in my mind last year and even still sometimes now – it shows life moving at the speed of light all around – with one person standing in the middle – and it just seems as if it should SLOW DOWN!!!! One day, you will be doing more than breathing and more than just putting one foot in front of the other – but right now there is no rush for that. When you are ready – you will! Your little girl will guide you!
    ANYHOO – I just wanted to stop in and let you know I am thinking of you today and I am praying for you, dear one!!! We love you -
    Janice Rolfs

82. Lynn says:

Praying right now!
    Psalms 36:5-7 Thy mercy, O LORD, is in the heavens; and thy faithfulness reacheth unto the clouds. Thy righteousness is like the great mountains; thy judgments are a great deep: O LORD, thou preservest man and beast. How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings.
    Prayer Bears

83. Anonymous says:

Someday there will be a new normal. It will always hurt, just not so bad.

84. Jen says:

Just a Dream Away

I would give my life to have you back, said the mom.

I know you would, said her child.

I cry each night for you, said the mom.

And I catch all of your tears, said her child.

I pray for the day that I see you again, said the mom.

Just close your eyes and you can see me, said her child.

I am always just a dream away…

You are the first person who loved me,

And you are the first person I loved.

You were always there when I needed you,

And you always knew when I needed a hug.

I am here for you now, Mom,

In your heart and in your soul.

I did not take your heart with me,

Instead I left mine with you to hold.

One day I will take your hand,

And lead you to paradise.

But until then, my beautiful mother,

When you want to see me,

You only need to close your eyes.

I am always just a dream away…

85. Lynn says:

Stopping by to let you know that I'm here praying!
    Psalms 50:15 And call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me.
    Prayer Bears

86. Jennifer says:

You don't know me, but I want you to know that I think about you and your family all the time. I am praying for you.

87. Lynn says:

Continuing to pray!
    Romans 8:38-39 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    Prayer Bears

88. DiPaola Momma says:

Add We share the same thoughts.. yours are just filtered through a loss I can't even imagine.. but carry on we do, we are moms, it's our thing. Just pause in the day for a "fuck" moment and keep going. Don't know if it helps but at any given moment when you stop for that, you'll be joined by hundreds of us doing the same thing. Even if we haven't had our child taken from us, if we are still fighting that fight or if we simply find ourselves overwhelmed by "regular" motherhood.. we all find that moment in every day.